Welcome to Chinese Crested Crush
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

PowderPuff Coat Care

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Chelsey

Chelsey

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 16,349 posts
Alright, after a couple years of not quite getting this up, I sitting down and dong it now!:++: I've had a lot of puff questions over the past couple of months in pms, emails, and facebook so I think it's time this joins the other stickies. As noted on everything else, this is what works for *me* and my dogs, I am not promising it will work on every coat type. My dogs tend to have heavy straight coats. Supplies-Small high velocity dryer-Chris Christenson pin brush-Medium greyhound comb-Plush puppy OMG spray-Vellus brushing spray-Vellus Satin Cream-Vellus shampoo and conditioner-PurePaws light oil-Cherry knoll mnk oil-Plush puppy blow dry cream The BathPrepare -- Mix half Plush Puppy light oil and half water into a spray bottle. Mix your vellus conditioner and shampoo as indicated by the directions and put into a container that can be squirted into the dog's coat. Put your dog into a shallow bath of warm water. Take a cup and saturate the coat fully with water - lift up the coat to get underneath. Take your vellus shampoo and squirt a generous amount all through the dog's coat, making sure you are getting the chest, legs, and underneath of the dog as well. Rub/massage the shampoo into the coat. Rinse well. Ring the coat out with your hands to get rid of excess water. Now use your vellus conditioner and apply evenly throughout the coat. Do not saturate one single area and keep the application lighter on areas where the coat is not as heavy (the head, etc). Massage into the coat and skin. Next, take your spray bottle of half pure paws light oil and half water and shake it to mix it up. Not apply lightly through out the coat. If your dog tends to have dry areas in the coat you might want to apply more to those areas and little or not at all to areas like the head and neck. Finally, if you are showing rinse lightly - I usually use one cupful of water. If you are not leave in the mixture. Wrap the dog in a towel and squeeze out as much water as you can to start the drying process. After The Bath - Preparing the CoatHave Ready- Your high velocity dryer, greyhound comb, pin brush, plush puppy blow dry cream, vellus brushing spray, and vellus cream. Pull up all your dogs hair on one side except for the bottom layer. Spay the vellus spray evenly thoughout the dog's hair on the legs of that side and the bottom layer of hair you have exposed. I start with the left side (the show side) and I start with the back left foot. Begin combing with your greyhound comb the bottom of the foot and work your way up the leg. Once up the leg start on the hair inbetween the back and front legs. Always start combing the hair at the bottom and work UP to the root. Do *not* start at the root and work down. If you encounter a knot spray some OMG spray on the knot and work some vellus cream into to help work it lose, slipt it apart with your fingers. Then work through it with your comb. Next do the front leg and shoulder on the left side. I section the hair into four sections on each side and do these following steps with each section. Make sure you are combing all the way up to the root in each section. Once to the top section I do the tail. Then I move to the right side and repeat the entire process on that side. Next I do the head, parting the hair how I would like it to fall and brushing it out with the vellus spray.Finally do the chest. Now that you have your dog all combed out get your brush and dryer out for the next step. Section your hair in the same fashion you did to comb it out. Run your brush through the layer so it is laying smoothly. Now take a small amount of plushpuppy blow dry cream and work it through the hair with you fingers. Start with the back leg/foot and start to blow dry your dog's coat. I like to brush the hair while I am drying but if that is too difficult, don't worry! If you dry the hair straight then you won't get the hair tangled. Always point the dryer so it is blowing DOWN the way you want the hair to lay. You do not want to blow the hair in differnt directions. It will not lay nicely. Hold the dryer toward the root and pointed down toward the ground and move it back and forth until it's dry. **The most important thing of this whole process IMO is to make sure that you have the coat completely, COMPLETELY dry in eash section before moving onto the next. Coats matt up from the dampness left in them. They also can get poofy and not lay correctly if dampness is left. ** Go through all four section on both sides of the coat, brushing each section out and applying a small amount of the plush puppy blow dry cream. Do the head last. My girls do not like their heads blowdryed so I comb their hair on their heads until it is dry without using the dryer. If I am going to a show, I add a small amount of freeze it hair spray to the bottom tips of the coat to help weigh them down so that they stay in place on the ride to the show. If I am not going to a show I add cherry knoll mink oil to the coat and comb it through. MaintenanceIf you have a dog with a difficult coat you may have to do some of these steps more often. I do not use the greyhound comb on the coat any other time than when it is wet after a bath. I only use the pin brush for the maintenance. The greyhound comb is too harsh on the coat if it is not really wet. If your dog has a dry coat you might want to use the cherry knoll mink oil every few days to get some moisture back into the hair. Second day after bath- Section coat and run vellus cream throughout with your fingers, brush through. Fourth day after bath- Section coat and spray sections with vellus or OMG spray and brush the entire coat out. Sixth day after bath- Section coat out and spay with OMG or vellus spray and brush out, then work vellus cream throughout the coat. In the next couple of days it's time for another bath! The most important thing is knowing if something is working for you, or if it is not. Never brush a dry coat, never let a coat air dry, always have a brush with you to brush out grass and other debris caught in the hair before it starts a matt. This also applies to after you shave your puff's face, always brush the little hairs out of the coat completely or they will cause matts. I feed dogzymes as well as Isle of Dogs Royal Jelly to my puffs to help support their coats. It take a lot of good food to be able to support that amount of hair! Good luck guys, hope this helped! I promise it's not that hard to keep a coat on a puff as long as you just don't let it go and you don't have an impossible coat.

MyBuddy

MyBuddy

Best In Show

• Members
  • 4,101 posts
Great Post Chelsey! Where do you get your grooming products (the creams and sprays)? I need to start something with Jack since his coat is getting longer.

Chelsey

Chelsey

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 16,349 posts
I get the vellus products from their site directly. The other things I usually get at dog shows, but you can also get them at www.showdogstore.com once you buy things from them they are pretty good about sending out monthly coupons, which is nice.

Leupp Pack

Leupp Pack

Show Dog

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
How did I miss this!!! I was looking for something to use on Leila. Since moving to Washington her coat has really started to dry out. And it has made her start to scratch at herself causing matts around her shoulder blades. Would you suggest I get the light oil? I already have the mink oil. But I don't know if the mink oil is enough... What would you suggest?

lostnureyez

lostnureyez

Pup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
My hero! lol i just got mine a few weeks ago and we have been doing pretty good so far but i was worried i wasnt doing something right....

Chelsey

Chelsey

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 16,349 posts

How did I miss this!!! I was looking for something to use on Leila. Since moving to Washington her coat has really started to dry out. And it has made her start to scratch at herself causing matts around her shoulder blades. Would you suggest I get the light oil? I already have the mink oil. But I don't know if the mink oil is enough... What would you suggest?

The light oil will reallly help put some moisture back in her coat for you. We get dry coats here too in the summmer and this summer I have been giving Moo pressed organic coconut oil and her hair definitely didn't dry out like it did last summer. It is also supposed to help with skin so it may be just the thing for your girl. I bought a big thing of it on amazong for like $15, pretty good deal! I give Moo a teaspoon in the morning and one and night and she will eat it plain! lol

Boolette

Boolette

House Broken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Do you have any tips on getting stains out of the white puff coats?

wrwolf

wrwolf

Pup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Good thing Belle's table has arrived.

Kimm

Kimm

Good thing Belle's table has arrived.

Lol. I just use an old kids table but so true. Have fun making your little girl beautiful.

wrwolf

wrwolf

Pup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Right now she's a puff ball. Her hair is growing as fast as she is.

Ange1seyes

Ange1seyes

Crate Trained

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
Thanks so much for this. Is there a shortened version of this routine? I don't show Toby but I do enjoy his long hair. He has a great coat and as long as I wash and condition him every week and a half or so the matting isn't bad at all. I have a greyhound comb and have recently figured out my hairbrush does really well and is more gentle than even the pin brushes. But I would like something to put on his fur when I brush him to add moisture. So as I started looking into these products and adding up the amount of getting them all it was a bit staggering. Do I need to use all of the products in conjugation to get the best result or can I use the link oil and not the vellus cream? If the work best with using it all together then I will figure out a way to get them all. Also, I don't blow dry him so I think I could skip the plush puppy blow dry?

Amysmile23

Amysmile23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

The light oil will reallly help put some moisture back in her coat for you. We get dry coats here too in the summmer and this summer I have been giving Moo pressed organic coconut oil and her hair definitely didn't dry out like it did last summer. It is also supposed to help with skin so it may be just the thing for your girl. I bought a big thing of it on amazong for like $15, pretty good deal! I give Moo a teaspoon in the morning and one and night and she will eat it plain! lol

I'm sure this is a silly question.
So you just let them eat the coconut oil?
We just bought a PP girl. :)

Mountain Meadows

Mountain Meadows

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Is there a standard for a powderpuff coat?  I have a PP girl that is 13 months and her coat isn't all that long or full - it is very fine and doesn't seem to have any undercoat whatsoever --- just wondering if there are different coat styles and if there are some bloodlines that carry fuller, longer, denser coats or if it is perfectly normal for the coat to be so fine.

Thank you

maxtmill

maxtmill

Canine Good Citizen

• Members
  • 460 posts
Hello Chelsey! I am getting a puff boy soon, but I plan to keep him in a pony cut as I did my hairy hairless. When I shaved my hhl, his coat was sparse enough that I used a clipper, followed by a mens electric razor. What would you suggest for keeping my puff boy clipped? He will be comg to me at 8 weeks old, so he should not have an extensive coat yet. Thanks for any suggestions, from anyone!

Agreenwd

Agreenwd

Is there a standard for a powderpuff coat? I have a PP girl that is 13 months and her coat isn't all that long or full - it is very fine and doesn't seem to have any undercoat whatsoever --- just wondering if there are different coat styles and if there are some bloodlines that carry fuller, longer, denser coats or if it is perfectly normal for the coat to be so fine.

Thank you

I have read online that only a double cost is a pp and if your CC does not have a double coat may be a very hairy hairless there is more information online. I think I have a pp, he has full dentition but a little bit of a scraggly tail. He is 7.5 months and his coat is about 4in. I'm looking for advice as to how to determine if he has a double coat??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Agreenwd

Agreenwd

Is there a standard for a powderpuff coat? I have a PP girl that is 13 months and her coat isn't all that long or full - it is very fine and doesn't seem to have any undercoat whatsoever --- just wondering if there are different coat styles and if there are some bloodlines that carry fuller, longer, denser coats or if it is perfectly normal for the coat to be so fine.

Thank you

Maybe your pp is a very hairy hairless. I have a boy I bought as a pp but thinking he is a very hairy hairless, full single coat with hair that is scraggly. Very fine hair in armpits. Scraggly tail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users